What are my responsibilities as a capital market investor?
Last Updated on Friday 29th November 2013 08:37
As an investor, it is your responsibility to:
- Deal with only licensed capital market players – When investors are dealing with licensed intermediaries they are assured of protection by the capital market regulator and can find recourse in case something happens
- Be informed – Know the capital market rules and regulation governing your investments and seek clarification from SECZ on grey areas.
- Keep track of their investments – It is the investor’s responsibility to monitor his or her investments. It is advisable to always:
- Keep a record of your investments
- Analyse your investments, valuing and rebalancing your portfolio
- Look for value addition information-(from newspapers. Media etc.)
- Look for information on the company you have invested in, this can be done by obtaining and analysing financial statements of the company
- Update yourself with current information and what is happening around you as they may have an impact on your investments
- Keep an eye on how the value of your investment changes depending upon fluctuations in the markets, economic issues and other factors
- Exercise your rights on your own or as a group